Sunday, February 14, 2010

Valentines Day quiting ideas





This year, for Valentine's day, I made fabric postcards and bookmarks for my family. The postcards are pieced backgrounds of a single color fabric, with fusible applique on top of the backgrounds, heavily quilted.




For the backgrounds, I first found about 7 different red (or blue) fabrics from my stash. Then I pieced the fabrics using wavy strips, to create a background about 12 X 18 inches. Then I slashed in strips, about 1-inch wide at angles. I fused the fabric to a piece of Timtex, and then cut that into postcard-sized pieces.


Then comes the really fun part -- it's like doodling with fabric. I found several fabrics that contrasted with the background, and fused Wonder Under to the back of those fabrics. Then I cut and collaged the flowers. When I got an arrangement I liked, I fused the pieces on the background. Then I quilted to highlight the flowers.



The blue bookmark is for my son, who is a fan of the Eragon books. I made this bookmark by using the cover art from the three books in that series. It was fun quilting the dragon's faces.

No comments:

Post a Comment