Monday, February 22, 2010

Tote Bags
















I spent a good 8 hours today cutting out tote bags from my collection of Japanese fabrics! A friend ordered four today! I finished these two grocery totes and cut out three more. These bags are nice -- finished with french seams and the handles are triple stitched for strength. I'm noping to get a few make for the Quinobequin Quilter's show at the end of March.





What I'm finding is that people like the way I put fabrics together. It's not just putting a "fabric collection" into a project. It's about finding fabrics that contrast -- that make each other look better. I like to put a surprise in the mix! I often collect fabrics that are ugly or aged, then challenge myself to use them in a way that gives them new life. It's a process that's almost meditative for me.
The navy bag is a project I did for a client who just loves to needlepoint on her commute to and from work. This is the third bag I've made for her using this Klimt design. This time I quilted a Klimt-esque pattern on the navy material. I'm sure this design will come up again; maybe I need to make a Klimt-inspired quilt!



















No comments:

Post a Comment